Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Keith Haring Lesson: Street Art (Chalk - 1st grade)

It is finally spring!  To celebrate this glorious event I came up with a fun Keith Haring inspired lesson.  I first showed them a powerpoint altered from the internet (all iffy material deleted). Each child was asked to come up with their most awesome dance move in which later I would trace around.  The student then took inspiration from Keith Hering's work and colored their shapes.  They learned to blend and mix the colors.  The kids and I had a blast!  Not only were they understanding street art, but also understanding the work of Keith Hering.  Disadvantage: It was incredibly hard to keep the kids clean.

Overall one of the best lessons I have taught for the young ones!  Must try! (All you need is street chalk)

Great online resource for kids:  http://www.haringkids.com/  It has digital interactive coloring pages.  (even includes over 180 free lesson plans!)

1 comment:

  1. This is awesome! I love Keith Haring. I might have to try this for the last day of school. :)

    ReplyDelete